A friend of mine (I’ll call Sandy) worked at a home for unwed mothers. One of the young women there was very angry and did not want to talk with her at all or listen to what she had to say. It was hard for Sandy, as she wanted for this young woman to know the love and forgiveness of Jesus. There seemed to be no way to connect with her. Sandy continued to pray and ask God to open the door of this young woman’s heart.
As she continued to love and listen to this woman; one day Sandy heard her say that she loved plums. Not long after that, Sandy was at a friend’s house, and she saw that her friend had a plum tree full of ripe fruit. Could this be an answer to my prayers, she wondered?
She asked if she could have some of the plums. Sandy’s friend said, “Of course! We’ll never be able to eat all of them. Take a couple of bags full.“
Sandy took the fresh plums from the tree and gave them to the young woman she had been loving and praying for. This simple gesture touched her heart. Now she was open to talking about her life. It still took more time, patience, love, and caring; but finally, this young woman gave her life to Jesus. She began to experience His love and forgiveness.
5 Keys to Softening the Hearts of Those You Are Trying to Reach
- Prayer- We need God to break through to the lost and to help us love them.
- Persistent, practical love- We are all broken and have experienced hurts in our lives. One way God can break through the wall we have built is by someone consistently loving us, even when we are not loveable.
- Patient listening- When someone doesn’t want to listen to us, we can still show we love by listening to them.
- More Prayer- Only God can save, and we need Him to work in lost people’s lives, and to empower and lead us.
- Looking for God’s answers- God is at work in everyone’s life, and He answers our prayers. We need to be attentive to how He is at work.
Which of these five things will you put into practice this week? Share in the comments below!
Find out more about sharing your faith and making disciples in our excellent online courses. We’d love to have you join us!